Liquor Liability Attorney in the Minneapolis Area

Liquor Liability

The damage left in the wake of an intoxicated driver is frequently the responsibility of both the drunk driver and the bar or establishment which allowed the drunk driver to reach that condition. In Minnesota it is against the law to serve alcohol (beer, mixed drinks, wine or other alcoholic beverage) to an obviously intoxicated person, a minor or conduct an after-hours sale. All of these are deemed illegal sales. Minnesota bars are required to carry liquor liability insurance as a condition of obtaining their beverage license.  If the collision resulted in a death, this may also result in a wrongful death claim, requiring the appointment of a Wrongful Death Trustee. Consequently, the appointment of a Trustee is an issue that you need to discuss with a trusted, experienced trial attorney, at your very earliest opportunity. The legal issues are complex; consult an attorney. Call us today at 763-682-1082.

In the state of Minnesota, a drunk driver may not be the only party held liable for any damages that they cause. The bar or restaurant that illegally served the drunk driver may be liable for those damages as well.

If you or a loved one were struck by a drunk driver, then you may not just have a claim against the drunk driver’s insurance provider. If a drinking establishment made an illegal sale that contributed to the driver’s intoxication, then you may be able to file a claim against it as well. That is because Minnesota’s State Dram Shop Act makes it illegal for a business or individual to serve an “obviously intoxicated” customer – the very reason why drinking establishments are compelled to carry liquor liability insurance.

Time is critical in liquor liability cases. Register receipts, credit card charges and other evidence is critical to prove the number of drinks sold, and the duration of the drinking. Witnesses who could testify that the customer was showing signs of intoxication while being served must be identified and interviewed early before memories fade. Trust Kiernan Personal Injury Attorneys to take the reins and build your claim against whichever establishment is legally responsible for your medical expenses, damaged property, lost income, pain and suffering, and any other damages resulting from your collision with a drunk driver.

If your loved one perished in a drunk driving accident – and you wish to file a wrongful death claim against a drinking establishment – then it is imperative that you secure our expert legal counsel at once. Our knowledgeable trial attorney Tom Kiernan will see that you obtained the necessary proof to successfully proceed with your claim.

Free initial consultation, no fee, if no recovery.

Frequently Asked Questions: Liquor Liability

Can I sue a bar or establishment for injuries caused by an intoxicated patron?

Yes, you may have grounds to sue a bar or establishment for injuries caused by an intoxicated patron under liquor liability laws. Dram shop laws hold establishments accountable for over-serving patrons who later cause injuries or accidents. Consult with a liquor liability attorney to assess the details of your case and determine if the establishment can be held liable.

What evidence is crucial in a liquor liability case?

In a liquor liability case, crucial evidence includes surveillance footage, witness statements, and receipts showing the amount of alcohol served to the intoxicated individual. Proving that the establishment continued to serve alcohol to a visibly intoxicated person is key to establishing liability. An experienced liquor liability attorney can help gather the necessary evidence and build a strong case.

Can social hosts be held liable for injuries caused by intoxicated guests?

In some jurisdictions, social hosts can be held liable for injuries caused by intoxicated guests under social host liability laws. These laws vary by state and may impose liability on hosts who provide alcohol to guests knowing they are already intoxicated. Consult with a liquor liability attorney to understand the laws in your jurisdiction and determine the potential liability of social hosts.

Note: The information provided in these FAQs is intended for general informational purposes and should not be considered legal advice. If you require legal advice or assistance specific to your situation, please consult with us today.